Interested in getting rhinoplasty surgery? You’re not alone – thousands, even millions of people around the world undergo this procedure every year. As some of the best rhinoplasty surgeons in NYC, we see patients undergo rhinoplasty for a wide variety of reasons, ranging from medical problems like a broken nose, sinus issues, or sleep apnea, or just as a cosmetic procedure to help them feel more satisfied with their looks and confident in themselves. It can really make a difference in people’s lives, and we’re thrilled to be a part of the rhinoplasty community in NYC.
If you are thinking about getting a nose job, there are many things you need to do before you can get the surgery. It is a major procedure that has risks, just like any other surgery, so you need to do your research and make sure you are aware of all of the potential problems before committing to it. Here’s our checklist of everything to do before you can get rhinoplasty surgery.
- Before you even go in for a consultation with the best new york rhinoplasty surgeon, you’ll need to make sure the surgery is really for you. Many people need it for medical reasons, in which case the answer is obvious: yes, a rhinoplasty will help you feel healthier and happier. But if you are getting a rhinoplasty as a cosmetic procedure, the answer may not be so simple. It will completely change the look of your face, which can be shocking to some people. You’ll also need to remember that while it will improve any issues with your nose that you have been struggling with, it will not automatically make your problems go away. You’ll need to consider everything and make sure that the surgery is a truly positive choice for you that will bring you happiness.
- If you are interested in getting the surgery, you will need to find out what the costs are in your area and whether or not your insurance will cover them. The cost of rhinoplasty varies quite a bit depending on where you live, so you’ll need to do some research to find out the exact figure. Most practices will be more than happy to give you a quote to help you get a good idea of exactly how much it will cost. Then, you’ll need to get in contact with your insurance company. If you need a rhinoplasty for medical reasons, it might be covered, but generally you will not get coverage for cosmetic surgery. However, many practices do offer payment plans to help lessen the cost of the surgery. See more details at https://www.rhinoplasty-nyc.org/.
- If you decide that you can afford the surgery, you’ll then need to make a very important decision – choosing a surgeon. Rhinoplasty is one of the most complex plastic surgery procedures you can have done, and it is not to be taken lightly. You should do some research into the doctor’s education and accreditation, and it also helps to read reviews from previous patients to see how their experience was. Then, you’ll need to have an inital consultation to determine if it is truly a good match for you.
- Next, you’ll need to decide what you want your new nose to look like. It helps to bring in pictures to your first consultation, as this helps the doctor get a good idea of what you are looking for from the surgery. Every nose is unique, and a nose that one person covets might be off-putting to someone else, so it helps if you can be very specific about what you would like from your surgery. Many doctors now even have imaging programs that can help you see what you will look like with this new nose.
- During your initial consultation, your doctor will determine whether you are a good candidate for the surgery or not. Some people will not be able to have rhinoplasty surgery in new york because of existing health conditions or the structure of their face. Teenagers also will need to have a completely developed skull before they can have a nose job. If you can have the surgery, the doctor will then discuss in detail with you the procedures that they will be using to help you get the nose you want. Be sure to ask plenty of questions and take notes to make sure you are comfortable with the process.
- Now it’s time to schedule the appointment! You’ll need to take one to two weeks off of work or school to recover, so be sure to take that into account when choosing a date. You’ll also want to talk to your doctor about the surgery location, since many plastic surgeons work in multiple locations. Generally, rhinoplasty takes place in a surgical center outside of a hospital, but many hospitals offer plastic surgery facilities as well, so it just depends on your location.
- Before the surgery, talk to your doctor about your current health and find out about any specific precautions that you need to take. In many cases, your doctor will ask you to stop taking certain medicines or adjust your prescriptions in the weeks leading up to the surgery, as they can have an affect on your blood flow. They also will likely ask you to stop smoking if that is part of your routine, and may ask you to adjust your drinking as well in the days leading up to the surgery.
Once you have your rhinoplasty, recovery is fairly simple. You will need to take one to two weeks off to heal, as you will be bandaged and you will have plenty of swelling. Your doctor may prescribe you some pain killers to help you feel more comfortable as well. Once you’ve gone back to your normal routine, it will take a few more weeks for your nose to ‘set’, so to speak. After about a month, your nose will start to look as it’s going to for the rest of your life! You can then enjoy the newfound physical, mental, and emotional benefits of rhinoplasty surgery as you live a healthier and happier life.